Saturday, August 30, 2014

Scooby Doo: Frankencreepy Velma Development and Final Production Art




   After I was laid off from Scooby Doo Mystery Incorporated in the summer of 2012, I took a needed vacation to Montana. When I got back, I was so done with WB. The low pay and heavy handed treatment of artists, I had enough. Plus after finishing the BEST Scooby Doo series EVER! I had no desire to do another Scooby. So I started hunting around for work and was hoping to jump onto the Mickey Shorts because I was freelancing some background work there but things got delayed and I ended up painting on a Curious George Halloween Special. While there I got a call from WB to art direct a Scooby Direct to video. I politely told them that I was not interested. Susan Ward asked me to at least meet this new director/producer Paul McEvoy so I said I would. Paul was so excited to meet me and had such enthusiasm for the project it was hard to say no to him. When I saw what the story was about, I was in. I am a big Young Frankenstein fan and this was going to be so fun for me. So on my lunch breaks I started sketching out some characters. This Velma is one I did back then and then over the next few months made some other concept sketches for the storyboard artists to work from. The final design which is the top one was finalized by Jim Stenstrum and Colored by Melanie Pava.